Pages

Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Dog Poop Park Lights

Like I mentioned in my About Me section I am a proud dog owner of a Chocolate Lab, Brylie.  Even though I just got my first dog in April 2010, I have been around dogs my whole life.  So inevitably, every since I can remember, I have been picking up dog poop in the back yard, and like most kids I would usually wait until there was so much poop in the yard that it would take hours to pick it all up.  So when I came across this very interesting article about a guy who designed a park light that used dog poop as a feedstock, I knew I had to share this with all the other dog lovers out there.

Using dog poop as the feedstock (and mixing it with water), naturally occurring bacteria inside the anaerobic ( meaning in the absence of oxygen) digester eat away at the dog poop.  These bacteria then produce a by-product consisting of about 50% methane and 50% carbon dioxide.     Even better, the now digested dog poop has essentially no odor and can be collected and used as a fertilizer.

3 comments:

  1. Thats pretty awesome technology. Do you think this kind of setup would work well for farmers/ranchers with the feces produced by cattle?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! This same idea can and has been used all over the world. Some dairy farms have actually used their cow manure to produce electricity that they have been able to put back into the grid. Something I will write a post about here very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A GREAT post. Fun topic, and you do a lovely job of explaining things in ways laypeople can understand.

    But we need a bit more information--tell us more about where this is, whether it's scaleable, what its disadvantages are, etc. Don't always leave it to folks to click through on your hyperlinks (only the really interested will). You still have to give us the where, what, why, how, when, who.

    ReplyDelete