Pages

Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Goodbye to school, this class, and this blog

If there are any avid readers out there that have followed my blog, you will know that this blog was done as an assignment for my Science Communication class.  If you do fall into the category presented by the first sentence of this post, then why haven't you posted any comments.  Have you agreed with everything that I have said, or is the content so boring that you couldn't even make up a question to ask, or at least a good job or way to go! Anyways...  Although I would have never decided to create a blog on my own I have enjoyed the experience.  If this is the first post you have read on my blog, then I will give a quick recap of what the purpose of my blog was throughout the semester.

From the title of the blog it is clear that the blog has focussed on waste to energy technologies.  I have covered anaerobic digestion, gasification, and algae to energy as my main three technologies to focus on.  I have also mentioned some off the wall ideas that show that there are others who share my interest in the waste to energy field (capturing energy from falling waste water in drain pipes, using dog poop to light a park, etc.).  My main goal of this blog was to introduce the major technologies that currently exist.  If the public understands that wastes can used to create energy then popularity of these facilities might grow here in the United States as they have done in Europe.  Any energy source is a good source in my book.  While I feel that fossil fuel energy is one of the most important energy sources, especially domestic fossil fuels, any energy will help.  A lot of the time these waste to energy technologies can even be incorporated into the fossil fuel industry to make their process more efficient.

Another goal of this blog was to show that you don't have to be an engineer or scientist, or be able to have access to large amounts of money to be able to understand and build a waste to energy process.  In particularly, anaerobic digestion has been used all over the world in high poverty area to create a cheap energy source for locals.  Often times these digesters are even sized for individual households, where family member operate their own personal digester.  I have covered issues that arise when certain processes are being implemented, and even covered what to do with the wastes of the waste to energy processes.  YouTube has been a great source foe information on this blog and if you are interested in building just about anything, dealing with waste to energy or not, check out YouTube for helpful do-it-yourself videos.  If anyone does come to my blog and like something they read or have comments or questions don't hesitate to leave a comment, I will get an email notifying me!

1 comment: