Pages

Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Skiing down the roof of a Waste to Energy Plant while blowing smoke rings???

I hope the title of this post caught the attention of some, and yes I do literally mean snow ski down the roof of a waste to energy plant.  Recently the a competition to design a waste to energy plant in Copenhagen, Denmark was wrapped up, and the winning design included a ski slop and a smoke stack that emits 30 meter smoke rings every time 1 ton of CO2 is emitted from the plant.  This surely does sound crazy, but it looks like a fun design.  Here is an article with several more pictures and more details on the winning design, including the layout of the ski slope (greens, blues, and a black).

3 comments:

  1. I don't really understand the ski slope part, but I like the smoke ring part. That's excellent science communication--it lets the public know exactly how much the plant is emitting. Hard to imagine too many industries voluntarily taking this on, but I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems like a waste of energy, not a waste-to-energy idea to me. That is a lot of effort and design just for a plant. I'm sure Europe is more careful with the public areas and need them to look good due to the lack of space. It is nice that they proposed a design contest to the public and got them involved. I'm interested in the number of people that don't like this idea. Maybe they chose a design with little consideration to the public vote. Who knows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea, I'm thinking it was more of an artistic competition, which may have led to the ski slope being part of the design. It seemed crazy to me too!

    ReplyDelete